So in my pregnancy these past few weeks my hunger has been ravenous! Yeah Yeah they say “your eating for two now” but that’s not an excuse to pig out on anything and everything. I still want to eat healthy for me and my baby and remember diet is soo important for recovery in any type of illness. In my case I try to eat grass fed organic and gluten free in my fight to stay in remission from cancer and keep my fibromyalgia at bay. So below I am sharing a recipe for this yummy whole chicken I made with candied brussel sprouts. Guys seriously it was soooo good, I almost forgot to take a pick before me and the hubby took a huge chunk out of the chicken. Check it out…
Rosemary Garlic Chicken and Candied Brussel Sprouts.
- Olive or vegetable oil cooking spray
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh rosemary, plus sprigs for garnish
- 8 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp garlic powder
- 1 Tbsp onion powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 roasting chicken (6-7 pounds, preferably grass fed- organic)
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- Kitchen twine
- 1 lemon, sliced (optional)
- Heat oven to 400°F. Lightly coat a roasting pan and rack with cooking spray. Combine rosemary, garlic and salt in a bowl. Remove giblets and neck from chicken and trim off all visible fat. Starting at the neck cavity, gently loosen skin from breasts and drumsticks. Optional: Cut little one inch slits under skin of the chicken starting at the top, then between the legs and the body, and on either side of the breast (see photo below). Tuck wing tips under back of chicken; tie ends of drumsticks together with twine. Season with garlic powder, onion powder, and salt and black pepper to taste; place breast side up in pan. Pour the cup of chicken broth into bottom of pan ( not over the chcken). Roast, basting twice with pan juices, until a meat thermometer inserted into thickest part of thigh (and not touching bone) reads 175°F, about 1 3/4 hours. Let stand 10 minutes before carving. Garnish with rosemary sprigs and lemon slices, if desired, and serve.
Candied Brussel Sprouts:
- 1-1/2 pounds brussels sprouts, halved, stems and ragged outer leaves remove (I used organic brussel sprouts)
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon honey
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil. In a large bowl, toss brussels sprouts with 2 tablespoons olive oil, kosher salt and pepper. Transfer the brussels sprouts to baking sheet and roast, stirring occasionally to ensure even browning, until tender and caramelized, about 15 minutes.
- Place brussels sprouts back in bowl. Add remaining tablespoon olive oil, balsamic vinegar and honey and toss to coat evenly. Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary, then serve.
*If using large brussel sprouts than cut in halves.